Craving Milk

"Like newborn infants long for pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation - if indeed you have tested that the Lord is good."
1 Peter 2:2-3

I keep wanting to say that I'm all grown up. I have a bachelors degree and a masters degree. I've been married for going on 7 years. We own a home. I have a son and another baby on the way. But none of these things make me grown.

I cringe when older individuals still talk to me like I'm a child (I look younger than I am, so it happens more than I would like). But the truth is many of these people have many years of knowledge and spiritual growth ahead of me. Despite all of this, as Christians, we're all still growing into our salvation. I believe that's a big part of why everyone who is living on this earth is still here. We're still growing, still learning, and still in need of spiritual milk.

When I was breastfeeding Eli I saw his longing and need for milk (and the kid still has a little bit of milk obsession). It's an amazing feeling to know that you are the only one who can provide that kind of nourishment for your child. As much as I was ready for Eli to be weaned after a year, there is a growing longing in me to have those same precious moments with my next child.

Teach me, God. Teach me to long for you in the same way a newborn child longs for milk. Teach me to understand that I need you and your Fatherly guidance just as much now as I did as a child. I need to keep growing. I need to keep maturing. It's a lifelong process. Thank you for your willingness, Lord, to patiently walk with me every step of the way. Thank you for loving me even when I act as a stubborn, ungrateful child.

0 comments:

Post a Comment