More Energized, Less Cloistered


President Obama spoke at the Museo Nacional de Antropologia (National Anthropology Museum) in Mexico City yesterday.  As teachers, my husband and brother-in-law both served as chaperones on a student trip to the event.  The night before the speech my husband spoke to me about some of the excitement building among the American teachers going to the event.  He spoke of their desire to hear Obama speak in person and feel the energy in the room.

A quick time out before I go any further…

This blog post will not be politically charged in any way.  I have no intention, at this time, of using this blog to espouse any sort of political agenda, or even discuss my personal opinions on politics.  So go ahead and put down your pitch forks or rally signs.

In fact, here is the most politically charged statement I plan to make: I believe that Christians are called to pray for and respect the government leaders who are in power in the belief that 1) they are among our neighbors and our words and actions towards them should reflect this and 2) God is control of all things.  Consider:

“’Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’

Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.’”
Matthew 22:36-40, NIV

“For unto is a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (emphasis added)
Isaiah 9:6, NIV

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get back to why I started writing this post.

My husband’s description of the desire to feel the energy in the room; to feel as though you are a part of something bigger, got me thinking.  What if we truly longed for and felt that same energy in relation to hearing the voice of God?

What if walking into church on a Sunday morning you felt people fired up to make and see change happen in the world?

What if when you prayed at dinner or with your kids before bed you did not come with simply a list of requests or things you are thankful for, but an expectation to hear the voice of God and a desire to be a part of his movement?  What if you could live out this desire and pass it on to your children?

What if when you sat down to read your Bible you were not just completing a step in the “good Christian life” or seeking out an opportunity to personally grow, but actually seeking out the words of the greatest leader in history, with a desire to be a part of his agenda?

I am not saying that these things never happen within the church and among Christians, and I realize that going to hear the president of the United States of American speak can be a novel and exciting event.  But I know that in the day to day I tend to lose sight of the novel and exciting things that God is doing  and can do in my life and around the world.  It makes me wonder…

What if my life, as a Christian, was more energized and less cloistered?

0 comments:

Post a Comment