Keeping a Toddler Entertained at 9 Months Pregnant

So I'm due in 4 days and more than ready to no longer be pregnant (although you should probably ask me if I still feel this way on my first day home alone with two kids).  Anyway, as stated previously, I've been trying to soak in my last few days of one-on-one time with Eli.  I have been in search of activities for him which match all of the following requirements:

  1. Will keep a 21 month old's attention span for a significant amount of time (at least 30 minutes).
  2. Only items that are already in our home should be needed (baby number 2 is putting us on a tight budget and we only have one car here so I don't have a vehicle many days).
  3. A minimal amount of planning must be required.  Since baby boy #2 could come any day now I am not looking for activities that I have to plan way ahead of time and then potentially leave unfinished.
  4. The activity should, ideally allow me to stay sitting.  9 months pregnant = a significant loss of energy.  I have to save up this energy for the times Eli needs to wear off some energy of his own playing in the grass or at the playground.
  5. The activity should require a minimal amount of clean-up.  Once again energy conservation in paramount.

So with all of these things in mind, here are a few of the things that have been keeping us busy lately:

Playing with dried beans.  All you need is a few different sized containers and various utensils to move them from container to another.  So simple and Eli loves it!
Homemade playdough.   With a simple recipe like the first one on this list you can mix this up in no time with simple ingredients you already have at home.  Plus it's softer than store bought playdough, which is definitely a plus for kids as young as Eli.  And random head wear helps keep any activity entertaining. :)
Add a matchbox car partway through the playtime for an additional 20 minutes of fun!
Melted crayon drawings.  Thanks to the magic of Pinterest I found this activity on the blog Play Create Explore.  All you have to do is warm up a plate in the microwave, grab a few of those broken, unwrapped crayons you have lying around, and you can create all sorts of fun art.  You do need to make sure you do not get the plate too hot, so as to burn little hands, and you keep the activity well supervised so you do not end up with wax on the table or other surfaces.  Also, although the original blogger assured that the plate would easily clean up I was a little skeptical so I used a glass plate I bought at the dollar store back in college.  However, to my surprise, with a little hot water, dish soap and a scrubby sponge the crayon came off without any problem.
So there you have it - three simple toddler activities that have let Eli and I have some fun together without requiring me to try to be super mom at 9 months pregnant or break the bank buying new toys and supplies to keep him entertained.

Do you have other ideas that fit all of my criteria? 
 Please share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment