A Mother's Day Letter to Eli

Dear Eli,

Today is Mother's Day, well in the U.S. at least (we celebrated Dia de la Madre on Thursday here in Mexico). Today I get to celebrate because God graced me with the special blessing of having you in my life. For that I am incredibly thankful. Sometimes I think that you make being a Mom easier than it is supposed to be. And at times you try my patience, but these are far outweighed by the times you make me smile. You are an amazingly happy child with an incredible zest for life. I pray that you keep these qualities throughout your life.

I pray for you often, but in truth I spend more time praying for me. I pray that I will be a good mother to you, that I will have patience, wisdom, and dedication in teaching you the many lessons you have yet to learn in life. I pray that I will be a Godly example to you and the sibling you will meet at the end of the summer (I realize that you have not grasped that he or she is coming - it's going to be the biggest surprise of your little life so far!). I pray that in my life I will be able to give you a small example of the grace and unconditional love your Heavenly Father will bestow on you throughout your life. I pray that I will be quick to listen, slow to speak,and slow to anger throughout my life, but particularly in your presence. But the most important prayer is one that I began to pray before you were born and continue to pray. I pray that you will have a personal, life changing relationship with your Father in Heaven - that He will be the one you lean on when Daddy and I and others in your life fail to set the example we should. This is the greatest gift you could ever receive and one I long so deeply for you to accept from an early age.

You are a gift from God, my precious son. You have been in my life for only a short period of time, but I cannot imagine what it would be like without you now. I am so thankful that I get to be your mother.

I love you,
Mommy

0 comments:

Post a Comment