Caught Between Adventure and "Normal"

Right now I feel completely caught up between my desires for adventure and "normal."  Living in Mexico is an adventure.  It's new.  It's different.  I get to try new foods (one of my great loves in life).  I get  to see new things - where in the U.S. am I going to go visit pyramids, see Myan murals, or visit entire towns dedicated to making pottery?

Here life is new and challenging on an almost daily basis.  That's the problem, though.  I'm not sure that I like being challenged that often.  Sometimes instead of all the wonderful Mexican street food I just want to go through the drive through at Taco Bell (it is its own genre of food - certainly not Mexican).  Sometimes I just want to go to Target and wander the aisles for an hour - searching out the hidden sale sections and contemplating the purchase of new beauty products.  These things were part of my normal before I moved here.  Yes, they are mundane.  No, they are not normal for much of the world's population.  But there's a certain comfort in them for me.  That comfort seems to be at war with my desire for adventure and challenge.  

Is one better than the other?  Not necessarily.

If I run away from this adventure too soon will I regret it later in life?
Quite possibly.

This is the dilemma that runs through my head over and over again - day in and day out.  Our first year in Mexico will be over before we know it.  We're definitely committed to one more year and then the question is, "what next?".  

Do we stick it out here a couple more years?  Financially this may be the best option.

Do we run off to some other exotic locale to keep the adventure going?

Or do we head back to U.S.; to comfort; to "normal"? 

I don't know the answer to these questions at this point.

I don't know what God has in store for us.

I just know that I have to keep trusting day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment