The Secret of Facing Different


My husband recently pointed out to me that I have used this blog on more than more occasion to tell the word what I am missing while I am here in Mexico and suggest that packages be sent my way.  I would hate for you to ever start reading this blog and think “oh no Abby’s begging for stuff again” or “seriously, your world is incomplete without Wheat Thins?!”.  Honestly, my world here is abounding.  I am blessed to be among the small percentage of the world’s population that has so much.  Yes, I have my days where I miss things that I got used to having around back in the states, but I also have days where I revel in the abounding number of new things I have to experience here.  Life is good, just different.

Yesterday I read Paul’s words in Phillipains 4:11-13:

“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am in to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things though him who strengthens me.”

That last verse was drilled into me into Sunday school classes throughout my childhood.  It is glued deep into the recesses of my brain, but it is the first two verses that make it powerful. Content in every situation?  Really?  I want that. 

I am not in low circumstances, hunger, or really any form of need right now.  In fact, in many ways I am facing abundance.  Isn’t it funny that sometimes we truly have to learn the secret of facing abundance?  Isn’t that what I wanted all along?  Except this abundance is different.

I’m learning the secret of facing different.  It’s beautiful and new and honestly we probably all need more of it in our lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment