Mariachi Loco


I’m just going to come out and say it …I think it may be time for me to start embracing mariachi music.  It’s not just for cheesy Mexican restaurants any more.  It’s a serious part of Mexican culture.  I first came to this realization a few weeks back when we attended a party complete with mariachi band entertainment.  They sang, they danced, they brought out lucha libre masks for a fake wrestling match among audience participants – and the crown went wild!

Plaza Garibaldi
Then last weekend, on our trip to La Plaza De TresCulturas, we passed by Plaza Garibaldi.  This is Mexico City’s Mariachi Mecca.  Since the 1920s mariachi bands have gathered here to show off what they can do.  On Friday and Saturday you can find dozens of bands scattered across the plaza competing to be hired. We walked by around 2pm and the plaza was already teaming with men (and a few women) donning instrument cases and tight black pants with silver trim.  I’m told the real party doesn’t start until 11pm.  It’s kind of a Where’s Waldo mariachi style.

And most recently, we discovered that our cable package includes an entire channel of mariachi music.  That’s right, I can sit on my couch and listen to mariachi music 24/7.  Jealous yet?

0 comments:

Post a Comment