If Only Bacon was a Health Food


Last night I made this black bean soup for dinner.  It’s hearty and delicious, and I highly recommend you try it.  With a little cornbread on the side it makes a wonderful fall meal.  But, you guessed it - it also contains a generous serving of bacon.  It’s not exactly the soup I would add to any diet plan. 

Seriously though, who doesn’t love bacon?  If I were ever asked to make a list of my favorite meats (I like to be prepared for any given scenario) Bacon would definitely fall somewhere near the top of the list.  I’m a Marylander at heart though, so Maryland blue crab definitely beats it out for the top spot.  Plan a trip to Maryland soon if you’ve missed out on this deliciousness.

I’m not the only one writing odes to bacon.  According to this article bacon is often the gateway meat for vegetarians.  I can’t blame them!

So, go ahead, invite your favorite vegetarian over for dinner.  Tell them you’re having black bean soup – it sounds vegetarian, right? And see if you can convert them.

P.S. I don’t actually have anything against vegetarians.  I’ve been known to cook vegetarian meals from time to time.

1 comments:

  • Kelly | October 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM

    If you eat Paleo, bacon and bacon fat is a totally acceptable food. They basically believe in eating meat, fruit, veggies, and nuts. Whole foods in their purest form. So go Paleo and eat all the bacon you want! :)

Post a Comment