Patience.

In January of this year I happened to be listening to a Christian radio station when they challenged their listeners to each pick one word to commit to learning about for the year.  Although, their presentation was pretty cheesy, and I had never before committed to a New Year’s resolution, immediately I knew the word I needed to commit to was patience.  I have never been a patient person.  My parents knew this early on.  At 5 I informed them that I would never learn to read, at 7 that I would never learn to ride a bike without training wheels, and at 21 that Dave was never going to ask me to marry him.  I am proud to say that I am now fully literate, able to ride on two wheels without assistance, and have been happily married for 5 years.  I just needed a little patience.
When this year began my patience was already worn.  Dave and I had been trying to get pregnant for almost a year.   We had begun to wonder if it was possible.  But in January I made a commitment to God: with His help, I would work on learning to be more patient this year.  It’s amazing what a great provider we have!  Within two months we found out we were pregnant.   And so began the great waiting game for our little boy to arrive.  There have been many smaller trials of my patience over the last 10 months, and in the meantime Dave’s patience with me has certainly been tried as well (thanks for sticking with me babe!), but the greatest trial has been the 9 months of waiting and growing rounder by the week.  We are now 2 weeks to the due date and I am once again getting impatient.  When exactly will I get to meet this precious little boy?  What will he be like?  How long until I can put on my shoes without bending into contortions? 
I know that learning patience is going to be a lifelong process for me.   I also know that this little boy is going to try my patience on many occasions.  I only hope that as I commit to learning about patience I can set a good example for my son and will continue to give thanks to God, who has been so patient with me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment